About Me!

Friday, July 25, 2014

FAMILY FEASTING AND FELLOWSHIP ON FRIDAY!



Over the course of almost 20 years of marriage I have really enjoyed experimenting with food!  I have not been afraid to do weird things, concoctions, for the sake of "let's try it!"

Not all have been huge hits.  Heck my dad was pretty convinced I would kill my husband in our first year of marriage of malnourishment.

I will be the first to admit not all my concoctions are great.  Some are down right weird, and need to be chucked or something.   But the stubborn side of me won't give up on trying to create tasty treats for my family.  And the thrifty side in me won't just throw something away just because it didn't turn out exactly the way I would like it to be.  The handy thing is lots of recipes that are flops do have the potential of becoming something else if we can just think outside of the box!  At the very least...compost!

In my pursuit to nourish my wonderful Frick family in the way I have been learning over the last 4 years: whole, real, hunter-gatherer kind of eating... it has been fun, frustrating, interesting, challenging....and JOYOUS!

Do I get my feelings hurt when they don't like something: yes!  But, I imagine all great chefs have critics and they didn't just make the great souffle in one time.  It took experimentation, trial and error, persistence, and a thick skin!  Joseph didn't let being thrown into the pit keep him down!

Persistence....I have lots of.  I actually don't have much of a choice.  You see, especially when it comes to baking, I have never been good at following the instructions, directions.  Hence why quite a bit of my stuff has flopped.  But as I have learned more and more about herbs, seasonings, spices, real food, flavors....foods of cultures....and SUPER FOOD benefits.....I am actually understanding and loving the science behind why, for example, with baking, things need to be a particular way!

Once I was able to grasp the true science, chemical reaction and why, behind baking, then I was able to truly start tweaking and experimenting.  And have many more hits versus misses!

My largest challenge of recent is wanting my wonderful family to receive all the great benefits of some of the superfoods and nutrient dense things that I know they won't just eat like I eat.

I have found and tweaked recipes to ensure they get more coconut oil, by making them "fudge bites".   Using bone broth when I cook up their eggs.  Actually any recipe that asks for water, instead I use bone broth; baked goods I use coconut water or milk instead of plain water.

Food should be something we celebrate with as a family not fight about!  It should be something that nourishes us: mind, body, and soul!  And that I truly believe.

Thus the pursuit and birth of TASTY TUESDAYS!

I desire to share with anyone who is interested....a few recipes, food thoughts, nutritional tidbits a couple times a month on Tuesdays!  Heck I might even be able to build myself up to doing it every week :)!

I will leave you with my first treat that was a huge hit in my home.  Some may not agree with my ingredient choices.  But again I have to compromise and creating something that will create love and harmony in the home rather than friction and division!

POWER PEANUT BUTTER PROTEIN FUDGE!



No comments:

Post a Comment