About Me!

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

My Tasty Personal Template

My personal template for a good old fashioned hot dog:

1. great uncured, no gunk, organic hot dog
2. two leaves of romaine lettuce
3.  mustard, and any toppings you usually love...onions, sauerkraut....hot peppers....anything!

What I have learned about making this life for me...

I loved a quote I heard awhile back in a  podcast I listened to from PaleoHacks!  Their guest on their #17 podcast was John Durant. (Yes This was a long time ago but it was worth relistening to and sharing with all of you!)

John Durant talks about his book: The Paleo Manifesto (I received it as a Christmas gift last year...LOVE IT)  and some of the cool things he discusses in his book!

It was awesome!  If you have the time you really should click the link above and listen to the podcast.  It is approximately an hour but worth it.

I loved how he addresses how we need to fine tune what works for us and our bodies and our lifestyles.  basically once a person really understands what a Paleo "diet" (really I prefer lifestyle) is all about and have taken to it...then tweak it to work for you!

For example, some people's bodies have no complications with their digestive systems when they take in a little bit of grains, legumes, or dairy...even gluten...from time to time.

BUT....then there are others that it creates havoc either physically, mentally, or both.

And here is my take on this....

The only way we can possibly know what works well with our bodies and what doesn't is a person must be willing to clean out their system for 30 days of all gunk...sugars....breads....grains....legumes....dairy....
Getting back to basics: MEAT, VEGGIES, FRUITS!

And then a person can play with a few things, reintroduce items one at a time.

Plus, this will allow you to know what is right for your body not only physically but mentally and spiritually.  What is going to help you lead a fulfilling and peaceful healthy lifestyle?

After all if you are obsessed on getting it "perfect", well that is going to create stress.  That is going to increase cortisol and stress levels, which in return isn't going to help your mental health.  Instead when we approach life (mind, body, soul) holistically we are able to see we have different needs with our food, fitness, and faith at different times and seasons of our life!

Once, I was really mentally free from the gunk of sugar I was able to start playing with exactly what works for me and what doesn't.  What I love is every time I learn something new from research or a podcast or continued education....I determine if it is something that could work for me or if it is something I even want to try just to experiment.

What I love about being A REAL FOOD pursuer...(Paleo) is the openness to always grow and learn what is best for my mind, body, and soul!

For example, I have learned over the last 5 years by being my own test/lab rat in this is....

.1.  Bread (includes pasta)....won't touch it...don't miss it....not tempted...won't waste the space in my belly when I can fill up with lots of great meat and greens and be much more satisfied! (plus no more insulin spikes to effect my PCOS).

2.  Grains...every time I think I can have a little popcorn here or there....it explodes in my belly and oh my goodness gracious I am beyond uncomfortable...sooo not worth it anymore!   As for rice and beans, I really could careless....the only reason I have taken bites of them is to make sure I made it right for my husband and daughter who are not ready to give up their beans and rice :)...But too many of "testing/tasting" over too many days....I can feel it in my ankles and knees....thus....not worth it anymore!

3.  Dairy....I will have heavy cream from time to time....but I have fallen in love with coconut milk that it's not even an issue....  I do miss my cheese from time to time...but I have found a sprinkling of a good aged Parmesan does the trick for me....but this is a "treat"  for me otherwise I can easily find myself turning to cheese...and in return retain lots of water in my joint area, acne, and congestion.  Yuck!

4.  NO SUGAR....EVERY TIME I think oh I will just have one cookie with my little one, or just a bite of cake....it messes with my hormones and my mental health....it is sooooo not worth it!   ***The only exception to this is a full fat really creamy, real sugar cane, ice cream.  The dairy proteins and fat balance out the sugar....thus I can do a bit of it.  But then I have to really be mindful of how I am feeling and my emotions for a few days to make sure I don't start leaning on Paleo treats....because all they will do is continue that spike...because after all a treat is a treat....some yes are better than others...but a treat is still a treat!

***You might ask why am I willing to have this treat....because it brings  a smile to my daughter...her love language is time and gifts and for her, the fact that I am willing to give her this gift of my sacrifice and truly enjoy that time together means more to her than all the stuffed animals in the world!

This is my personal template!

What is your personal template?

St. Teresa had a template!  She lived boldly for God.  She sacrificed without hesitation because she knew it was right for her life.  She listened to her mind, body, and soul!

Many blessings,
~K:)







No comments:

Post a Comment