About Me!

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

2016: Simple, Skills, Saving

I have been reflecting A LOT this Advent season on what I would like to focus on this upcoming year.   One of the biggies has been wanting to help my family understand on the next level of nutrition and health is how a treat shouldn't be convenient.  It should be something we make from scratch and take the time to do ourselves thus giving us the opportunity to appreciate it even more.  After all a treat should be just that....a TREAT....not a "hey lets just go to the store and get a dairy free ice cream....it's still healthy mom!"


But....this is what I have been really reflecting on this last year.....

The food industry is starting to really pick up on the fact there are real conditions and situations and people need to be avoiding different inflammatory foods.  They have also noticed how it has become fashionable the last several years to avoid gluten....dairy...etc.....   I say fashionable because some are just doing it for vanity or because everyone else they know are doing it (I know total judgement on my part!).....but there are also those who truly understand the health concerns and would like to avoid conditions, illnesses, diseases, compromised immune systems....kudos to them!!

BUT.....

A box is still a box!!  Processed is still processed!

So.....just because it says GLUTEN FREE....DAIRY FREE....NUT FREE....SUGAR FREE....etc......and it comes in a nice little package like:

cake mix
crackers
bread
snack bars
ice cream

IT IS STILL PROCESSED!  There is still the tendency to over indulge in an item that shouldn't even be thought of but OCCASIONALLY......

And I am guilty too of giving into some of these ready made, boxed, processed "healthier" choices.  I have a sweet daughter who gives me this "life isn't fair" look.....or I am having a really bad brain fog, low energy thyroid week, and I just don't feel like doing something from scratch.

But I get frustrated at myself because I know if I am not willing to eat these processed "healthier" choices why am I willing to feed them to my family.

Thus I had this BRILLIANT idea for 2016!

EVERYTHING MUST BE MADE FROM SCRATCH!

I even thought....ah-ha I am going to even start getting back to being consistent about making my own laundry soap....etc.

I started to game plan and make a list of all the foods and things that must be made by scratch this upcoming year:
bread
ice cream
snack bars
crackers
cake

Then I started to think about what is a treat to me that I should be probably making instead of buying:

Kombucha
sauerkraut
pickles

I then started thinking even more about ALL the different things that we buy....sauces, tea, granola, yogurt, coconut milk.....

And where do I draw the line?!

That's when I realized that what I really want to teach my daughter for 2016 is:

SIMPLICITY
SKILLS
SAVING

I don't want to get so caught up in doing everything from scratch that it becomes complicated for our life thus taking out the simplicity of living.

I want my daughter to continue to learn skills in the kitchen, garden, house, etc.....

And I want us to continue to fine tune our savings.

Thus if there is truly a significant difference in making my own bath salts....heck ya I'm making them!

And a treat like ice cream or bread truly needs to be made in order to value the skill it took as well as savor the hard work.

But if buying my sauerkraut, which I go through a jar a week, will keep things simple as I learn how to make my own....then maybe it is what I need to make sure I find it on great SALE!!!

I am excited about my 2016 goals, challenges, and adventures for myself and my family.

Therefore, I have decided that this upcoming year my blogging will be more day to day...more updates on how I am doing with this lofty ambition of keeping 2016 SIMPLE with learned SKILLS and hopefully lots of SAVINGS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment