About Me!

Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Tasty Tuesday

This last couple weeks my body has been fighting something going on....ugh.  The interesting thing is I don't feel bad at all.  I just sound like a person who has smoked all their life every time I cough.  And when I take a really deep belly breath it has a wheezing to it.  Or I should say had....yesterday it was better and today I have great hope and anticipation in all being better :).

Well last week I remembered I had picked up some dried elderberries in the bulk spices and tea section at my local NATURAL GROCERS.  So I started brewing tea from it every morning.  Then as I was cleaning out my tea strainer from the now soft berries it had me thinking and wondering:  couldn't I use these berries now in a smoothie or something with fruit?!

***Quick info plug this little berry is packed full of: C, A, and lots more!!!!

I am a waste not want not kind of gal.  So when it comes to anything in the kitchen my line of thought is:

1.  Can these clippings from veggies or fruit be used for something edible?
2.  If not then compost!
3.  TRASH IS LAST RESORT!!!

So I had the same thought with these berries that were now soft.  I was about to put them in my compost but I wondered....could I use them!?

Low and behold.....I CAN!!!  I was thrilled.

I made a simple smoothie just because I wanted to check out their texture in a smoothie first before I added anything else.

My recipe consisted of:
1/4 cup of berries softened from tea use
1/4 cup of full fat coconut milk
2 drops of stevia (because I knew the berries weren't sweet at all)
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup ice
Blend and drink!

It wasn't bad.  The berries are seedy.  So it is very similar to blackberries in a smoothie.  They are bland, not a whole lot of pop in the mouth.  So I realized I am going to start throwing in the remainder of my tea berries into my shakes and if I don't want to have one that day then I will put them in the freezer for another day to use.

This morning I am going to try this blend:

2 TBS Great Lakes Collagen (good protein boost, great for gut health, hair, skin, and so much more)
the berries from my tea
1/4 cup of black berries
1/4 cup of blue berries (to add a bit of depth to the taste....that pop!)
tsp of cinnamon
tsp vanilla
2 drops of stevia
ice
1 TBS of Coconut oil
coconut milk
blend and enjoy!

I'll let you know how it turns out :)!

Some really great resources I came across while I was researching it were:

Dr. Mercola - health benefits of the berry, etc.
Wellness Mama - Recipe for making your own cough syrup
Random smoothie recipes.

Have you tried anything with Elderberries before?  What is your experience with it?  Would love to hear and share!

Have a yummy....immune boosting fun filled TASTY TUESDAY!

Hugs and prayers always,
~Kelly

PS...today's book is another great mom who strives to feed her kiddos real food recipes and have it fun in the kitchen.  This was her first cookbook.  You can read in the beginning how her journey of health and wellness came about and then enjoy all her amazing recipes.  She has since come out with many other cookbooks.  She has traveled to Italy and Thai specifically to learn from some amazing chefs and to learn about the areas in order to create her Italian and Thai Cookbooks.  Her recipes are about real food....nutrient dense choices....and lots of great flavor!

No comments:

Post a Comment